Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is an effective treatment for addressing excess fat, loose skin and tighten the abdomen. Because of certain factors such as fluctuations in weight or pregnancy, the abdomen is significantly stretched and the skin sometimes is not able to retain to its original elasticity. These results to the untoward signs of redundant and protruding abdominal feature.
There are two types of abdominoplasty. One is the mini abdominoplasty and the other is the full abdominoplasty.
- Mini abdominoplasty is typically for those with minimal excess fat and mild loose skin on the lower abdomen.
- The incision is made on the bikini line below the navel and the navel is kept at its original position.
- Tightening of the lower abdominal muscle will depend on the degree of weakness.
- The procedure will usually last for one a half to two hours.
- Full abdominoplasty is for individuals who have mild to moderate excess fat, moderate loose skin, and weakness of the abdominal muscles on both upper and lower abdomen.
- The excess skin from below the navel are removed and the remaining skin above the navel line are pulled down and stitched on the bikini line. In addition, a new navel is formed.
- Tightening of the muscles are also performed through permanent stitches along the central part of the abdomen. This will eventually give a flatter and tighter tummy.
- Since the full abdominoplasty addresses both upper and lower part of the abdomen, the procedure is twice as long as the mini abdominoplasty.
- Two drains are attached on the lower abdomen to help remove excess fluid and prevent fluid accumulation (seroma).
COMPLICATIONS AND RISKS
Minor complications are swelling, bruises and fluid accumulation (seroma). Swelling and bruises usually disappear after a few weeks. Seroma can be treated through aspiration of the fluid through a needle attached to as syringe. There is also the risk of scar and keloid formation.
Although very rare, major complications can still occur. The most critical is the death of the tissue. This can be prevented by careful planning and taking a detailed medical history of the patient. Smoking and intake of certain medications are few factors that can affect and slow down the progress.
Here in Dubai, tummy tuck is available at London Centre for Aesthetic Surgery Gulf located in Dubai Healthcare City.
Drs. Maurizio and Roberto Viel have over 25 years of experience in the field of cosmetic surgery industry, and are known for their expertise in cosmetic treatments and surgeries e.g. Botulinum Toxin Injections, dermal fillers, and mesotherapy, breast lift and reduction, penis enlargement and lengthening)
To book an appointment or consultation in Dubai at our LCAS Dubai Healthcare City Clinic, please contact 04-375 2393 or email gulf@LCAS.com
To book an appointment at our LCAS 15 Harley Street, London practice, please call +44 207 636 4272 or email info@LCAS.com